PostHeaderIcon How to Clone Windows 7 to SSD Without Reinstalling

Windows 7 Wallpaper

NOTE: What we do here is for PC, it’s easy to move or add new drive to it. But if you need it for laptop, you can remove the optical drive and replace it with the SSD. You can also look for optical bay adapters online as a way to get around.

Solid-state drive or a solid-state disk (SSD) is the new generation disk which has no mechanical (moving) parts.

It actually has no spinning disk, no spinning motor, and uses assemblies of integrated circuit as memory to persistently store data.

In other words, it’s silent when running, has lower access time, less latency, and more shock proof. That’s why people have been trying to install one of these drive in their computer.

Why Cloning?

The problem is that when we want to install SSD, we already have a PC full with favorite big chunk of software. It will be a tedious work if we do a fresh install. Now, that’s why we need cloning.

So, we can get the same software and every single setting we have on that software, without reinstalling Windows and re-install them one by one. But if no software or settings on the current computer, then fresh install is always a good option.

Precaution & Preparation

Before proceeding with the process to clone windows 7 to ssd, here are what we need:

• Backup your Data

This is actually a common thing to do when doing something with a disk. But we’ll say it here again just for precaution.

Although the process itself we’re using here is simple enough using software, but if anything goes south, you can always back to where you are.

• Delete your Personal Data

A spacious SSD is expensive, so people usually can only get smaller SSD to begin with.

So, before migrating Windows to SSD, clear some space by deleting the personal data on your current drive such as pictures, movies, music, documents, and etc.

This needs to be done so it will likely fit the new SSD and give us no trouble. Don’t worry we have backed them up before, right? πŸ™‚

When the Windows migrating is done, you can copy these files back to the new computer with the SSD.

NOTE: The space of new disk should be larger than the used space of source disk (or at least equal).

The Cloning Process

In this tutorial, we will be using the EaseUS Todo Backup software. It is one of the complete and user friendliest disk cloning software windows 7 can have that come with affordable price: FREE for home users.

Now that everything is ready, lets begin the cloning, shall we?

1. Run the EaseUS Todo Backup application then click Clone.

2. Select the source disk.

Selecting source disk of migrating windows 7 to ssd
3. Select the destination disk for the clone. You can leave the Sector by sector clone option to migrate all sectors from your source disk.

Choosing destination disk of migrating windows 7 to ssd
4. EaseUS Todo Backup will give you the disk layout preview after cloning.

disk clone windows 7 to ssd disk preview

5. If everything’s okay, then click Proceed to start the cloning process.

That’s it. Simple enough, right? πŸ˜‰

I hope this article can be useful to you. If so, I would be very grateful if you are willing to share it on your social networks.

And now, it’s your turn..

Have you ever tried to clone Windows 7 to SSD before?

Nanda Rahmanius

Nanda Rahmanius

I'm a Blogger, Internet Marketer and Online Entrepreneur who Work at Home Online. Internet Addicts. Have Big Dreams and
Keep Learning to Become Professional Blogger. Join me on my Blogging Journey. Follow Instagram | @NandaRahmanius
Nanda Rahmanius

Latest posts by Nanda Rahmanius (see all)

30 Responses to “How to Clone Windows 7 to SSD Without Reinstalling”

• Mohd Arif says:

Hi Nanda,

This is awesome article, Which trough we can prevent any type accidental system crashes, I think EaseUS Todo Backup is a great software, Next time I will try this great tricks for my windows 7 PC..

Today is my first visit on your blog, and here I found best article which is driving best information…

Regards
    Mohd Arif
    Mohd Arif recommend you to read >> Hide My IP Review: Best IP address Changer Online(Surf Anonymously, anywhere without Block Problem)My Profile

• Hi Mohd Arif,

Welcome to my blog and I welcome you here πŸ™‚

Thanks for your nice words. Yes, I think you should try it out, just in case if you are experiencing the same problem. πŸ˜‰

Thanks for stopping by and share your thoughts with us, Arif.
      Glad to know you liked this article. Hope to see your more often here.

Do have a wonderful day for you!

Regards,
      Nanda
      Nanda Rahmanius recommend you to read >> How to Clone Windows 7 to SSD Without ReinstallingMy Profile

• TonmoyParves says:

Hello Nanda, Thanks for your good Tutorial. Really Just amazing. To be honest, i can not step up Windows by myself πŸ˜€ πŸ˜› By reading your this post it’s really become so much easy for me. IT would be great if you start with Video Tutorial πŸ™‚

Cheers
    TonmoyParves recommend you to read >> DEMO PostMy Profile

• Hi Tonmoy Parves,

Welcome to my blog. You really have an unique name, but I love it. πŸ™‚

Glad to know you liked this post. It’s an honor for me. πŸ˜€
      Ah, yes, I should also do that. Thank you for reminding me. I will do that someday. πŸ™‚

Thanks for stopping and share your nice voice in here, Tonmoy.
      I really appreciate it and hope to see you more often here. πŸ™‚

Do have a great week ahead!

Regards,
      Nanda
      Nanda Rahmanius recommend you to read >> Get Paid to Write for Break StudiosMy Profile

• Hi Nanda,

Yes indeed, I have heard a few of the terms you mentioned…lol…but the rest are not things I know of, as my better half is a pro in them. So, I’d surely forward him this post and I am sure he’d love it.

I’ve heard of Backup data and all, which is something we do, and all bloggers have to do also, but the cloning part is new to me!

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week ahead πŸ™‚
    Harleena Singh recommend you to read >> Why You Matter Even If You Think You Don’tMy Profile

• Hi Harleena,

Hahaha..Glad to know you have to know a few things about this. Thank you for forward this article to your better half. I really appreciate it πŸ˜‰

Yes, I agree with you. In fact, when we update our WordPress, we must do a backup before doing so. πŸ˜‰

I hope this article useful for you. Thanks for sharing it.
      Thanks for adding your voice in here as well. So much appreciate πŸ™‚

Do have a wonderful week ahead!

Regards,
      Nanda

• Mi Muba says:

Hi Nanda

Excellent post indeed with a lot of new info.

The topic is a little techie but the way you explained each point is pretty awesome and a layman can also easily follow it.

The images are very relevant and especially your main tips in green shade are a treasure to remember.

You are right doing any kind of tweaking with any big or small setup it is must to take its backup first to stay on safe side always.

Thanks a lot for sharing this every useful post.
    Mi Muba recommend you to read >> How to create a high-priced product to earn money massively?My Profile

• Hi Mi Muba,

Thanks for your nice words. Glad to hear that. πŸ™‚

Yes, I think, the images will be facilitate the readers to digest what the messages conveyed in this article. Since this is an article with a little tutorial, I guess. πŸ˜‰

I strongly agree with you. Backup are important to avoid panic if undesirable things happen.

Thanks for stopping by and share your nice thoughts with us, Mi.
      Glad to know you liked this post. Have a great week ahead!

Regards,
      Nanda

• Emebu says:

Hi Nanda,

This is excellent post with lot of new info.

This topic is a techie one but your detailed explanations has made it a bit simple.
    The images also are very educational and add to the explanations as well.

Thanks for sharing this.

• Jane says:

Hey Nanda,

This is a wonderful post – yes technical, but so very helpful. I have a few friends who upgrade disks and change to SSDs quite frequently (they work in a computer repair firm). I’ve heard about cloning from them.

This step by step guide should be very useful for the non-techs like myself.

I’ve once done imaging of my Windows PC but cloning is something that’s very new to me. And also, I’ve move to a Mac about a year ago and I am no more using a Windows PC (no idea of going back lol).

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial πŸ™‚ Have a great week!

Cheers,
    Jane.
    Jane recommend you to read >> What is word of mouth marketing and why it ROCKSMy Profile

• Hi Jane,

Thanks for your nice words. πŸ™‚

Yes, indeed, this is a little techie topic. I tried to write this article as simple as possible so that the non-techs can understand with just one reading. I hope so. πŸ™‚

Hahaha..as expected from a professional blogger. Glad to know you are using a Mac at this time, Jane. It’s great! πŸ˜€

Thanks for share your thoughts with us. Thanks for your kind shares as well. I really appreciate it. πŸ™‚

Do have a wonderful week ahead!

Regards,
      Nanda

• Adrienne says:

Hey Nanda,

Let’s just say that this information is a little over my head. So does this mean that you’re replacing the SSD drive with your current one so that it won’t take as much juice or whatever to run? See, I told you it’s over my head.

I think I would have to leave that to my brother to help me with if I were to go that route. I have a feeling though that in the very near future I’ll be replacing my PC. It’s a little over three years old and starting to just now bog down some. I clean it on a regular basis but I’m thinking that’s not quite enough.

I’m sure for all the techie people out there they’ll love this share so I’ll be sure to let my group know about this.

~Adrienne
    Adrienne recommend you to read >> The Most Exciting Thing I Heard About #SMMW15My Profile

• Christy says:

Wonderful tutorial I guess,

Well I upgraded my primary laptop to windows 8 which was win 7 formerly. I guess I can easily clone my win 7 backup on my PC following the above tutorial.

Thanks
    Christy recommend you to read >> 5 Top Reasons That You Should Host Your Website with HostGatorMy Profile

• Hi, Nanda, this is very interesting but I have a few questions.

First off I have Windows 7 on a laptop so I know the main post doesn’t apply. I don’t like the option of replacing the optical drive – does that mean doing away with the CD player? I prefer the option of using an adapter.

But my main question is what would be the biggest benefit? I suppose any speed benefit would be in fetching files (which I don’t do a lot of on my laptop). The problem I have is how slow it takes to open webpages (regardless of my connection speed), and it grinds to a halt when I have more than a couple of tabs open. But I don’t suppose SSD has anything to do with that?

Also I’ll be grabbing the free update to Windows 10 when it’s released – will that be a bigger benefit than an SSD adapter?

Lots of questions πŸ™‚ Take your time in getting back to me, it’s not at all urgent.

Thanks for an interesting post, have a good week.

• Carol Amato says:

Hi, Nanda,

Wow, what a fantastic post! I’m impressed for sure! πŸ™‚

Actually, I’m on a MacBook Pro myself, but my son and daughter both use Windows 7 on their PCs , and will be sending them to this article.

Great points and very helpful. My daughter is especially techie, but my son is sort of just learning, so the screen shots should be quite helpful to him, should he need to do this.

Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful evening.

Talk soon,
    ˜Carol
    Carol Amato recommend you to read >> Multi-Tasking Can Slow You DownMy Profile

• Hi Carol,

Thanks so much for your kind words. I really appreciate it. πŸ˜‰

Glad to know you are using MacBook right now. Yes, this post has little characteristic of tutorial, I guess. That’s why it must be filled by the screen shots. And I hope it can help those who are non-techs to better understand the message of this article. πŸ™‚

Thanks for stopping by and share your thoughts with us, Carol.
      It’s always good to see you here. Hope you can enjoy your weekend!

Regards,
      Nanda
      Nanda Rahmanius recommend you to read >> Looks like Sage Might Be Part of the Salesforce AppExchangeMy Profile

• Sohel Rana says:

Really a easy and simple tutorial. Actually I didn’t install it clearly before, I faced some problem. By reading this it now clear to much then before. I hope I will do it next time.

Thank you so much and Cheers .
    Sohel Rana recommend you to read >> 16 MP Camera Is Featured in Lenovo Vibe Shot – UpdatetechMy Profile

• Hi Nanda,

I thought that might be interesting by looking at the title and you’ve made it simper too. This tool will be very helpful to clone the OS for several computers at once.

But I have a doubt! What if I clone a 64-bit OS to a SSD and install it into a computer that accepts only 32-bit arch? It won’t work right? I guess it will not!
    Sasidhar Kareti recommend you to read >> 50 Free Resourceful Websites for Web Designers and BloggersMy Profile

• Hi Nanda,

I never heard of cloning because this is one thing that is over my head. My husband and business partner takes care of all this. I’m sure he will know exactly what you are explaining here and find it useful. He works on a PC, and I on a mac.

When it comes to anything technical, he does it for me, or we hire someone to do it. This is so important to know because no one wants to loose anything they have created.

Thanks so much! I’ll pass this on.

-Donna
    Donna Merrill recommend you to read >> Early Mover AdvantageMy Profile

• Hi Donna,

Hahaha..
      Yes, I know what you mean. I completely agree with you.
      I am also the same, there are some things I do not understand, then I handed it to people who understand more than I do. Well, everyone has their own expertise, though. πŸ™‚

Thanks for stopping by and share your thoughts with us, Donna.
      Thanks for the kind share as well. It’s always good to see you here. πŸ™‚

Regards,
      Nanda

• Samantha says:

To be honest I never tried this cloning thing. Its kinda cool that we could also clone our operating system.

Thanks for sharing
    Samantha recommend you to read >> How to Buy Web Hosting from Bluehost?My Profile

• metz says:

Cloning software windows 7 step by step guide and tips for us. WOW! No need for reinstallation and no need to do the heavy and time consuming work. I will bookmark this and share this with my friends who want to have a Windows 7 to SSD. Thanks for this. It is very rare for me to know information like this.
    metz recommend you to read >> 12 Ways To Drive More Traffic To Your WebsiteMy Profile

• Sunday says:

Well, I hardly think of a process like cloning a disk since I am not an IT expert. However, it is cool learning new things like this.

At present, we have Windows 10 and I wondering if similar process can be used to clone a device to SSD without reinstalling.

Anyway, thanks for sharing details about the “EaseUS Todo Backup software”. The explanations in this post can make us consider taking practical steps!

I found this post in kingged.com where this post was “kingged” and commented upon!

• Hi Sunday,

Well, whether this can also be done for Windows 10, I do not really know about it yet. I apologize for my lack of knowledge about it. But, since you have Windows 10, I think you could apply it to see how the results you will get later on. πŸ˜€

Yes, you are welcome. I’m glad if this simple tutorial can help you in some ways.

Thanks for stopping by and share your thoughts with us, Sunday.
      Hope you can have an awesome weekend! πŸ™‚

Regards,
      Nanda
      Nanda Rahmanius recommend you to read >> THANKS To My Comment Authors ~ July 2015 Engagement Report!My Profile

Please Share Your Thoughts/Ideas/Questions Here...

While all comments are read and appreciated, only comments using HUMAN NAMES will be approved. Comments with link SPAM will not be approved. Please use your REAL NAME and COMMENTS PROPERLY. Don't SPAM!!

CommentLuv badge